CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

8.22.2008

..closing a chapter..


it is with mixed emotions that we close this chapter of our lives. Great Harvest has been our life for the past 16 years. monday we closed our doors. we will miss our loyal customers, our hard working employees, being a part of the community but most of all, our endless supply of bread. not just any bread, but the best bread there is. Great Harvest bread is the only bread that my kids know and love. yesterday it was painful to have to buy bread from somewhere else. my kids felt the pain as well. when i got it out to make french toast this morning (it's what we eat every morning) this is what i heard, "that bread looks sick, i am NOT going to eat it. where did it come from?" "this bread is disgusting!" breakfast was just not the same. when ashlan got home from school she informed me that she only had a few bites of her sandwich for lunch because the bread was "the sickest thing ever!" luckily, there still is a GH in town (the store we sold a year ago) and i will be making the 15min. drive to get our fix of GH bread (and chocolate chip cookies) so we all don't starve to death.

16 comments:

Crouch6 said...

That is funny about the kids not eating store bread. Great Harvest bread is soooo good. So, now what's the next adventure for you guys?

ganelle said...

So what's up for the next chapter of your lives?

(My poor kids have no idea how good bread can be. GH is so far away that it's a rare treat at our house!)

Reno 411 said...

So my neighbor informed me of the sadness and I had to drive by just so I could witness for myslef. I am so sad. Hannah is a bread snob and GH has the best white bread known to man. I love their pumpkin bread as well. Too bad the other one is so far. Thanks for having one close to me for awhile.

laurice. said...

It’s a good thing you don’t live down here and have to eat the bread because it really is the sickest thing ever! You make french toast every morning! I’m impressed we have cold cereal.

J-Lo said...

Did I ever tell you that GH bread was one of the only things I could eat when I was really sick with this pregnancy? Between Harvest White bread and plain bagels from The Bagel Stand I was on a carb kick! They don't have a Great Harvest here in Louisiana so I had to wean myself off of it before we moved:)

Jan T. said...

I can't even imagine the Bigler's without a Great Harvest store!?:) The two go hand in hand!
We're looking forward to hearing about the new chapter! You guys will be great at whatever you do! Keep us posted!

Heather Bird said...

Allison,

I think it us unanimous we all are wondering what is up next for the Bigler family and we all LOVE Great Harvest Bread. Keep us all informed as to what is next.

Sheri Willardson said...

We already miss your store. I have driven by a couple of times, hoping it will re-open soon. My family also loves the GH bread. I think we have been spoiled-because I don't want to have to drive so far to go buy more, but I think if I don't, we might starve too! :)

meg said...

I laugh every time I think of your kids and that story! Now why not just pack up and move to AZ...

Penny said...

We agree that GH is the best bread ever--one thing I really miss here in Switzerland--but it just isn't the same if the Bigler's aren't making it. Glad I stopped in at the store while we in Reno before it closed. We are all also really excited to hear about what the next chapters bring in the Bigler Book. Hey does this mean you have some free time to come and visit us? You need to celebrate that 15yr anniversary in style. Good luck in whatever the future brings, I know it will be good.

Camille said...

I should have read this first...I stopped by today to get some bread...and oh, NO! It is closed. So sad. We will greatly miss it.

Carpenters said...

I also stopped by today, and it was closed. So sad!

Harlene said...

One less thing to miss about Reno...How are you guys?

Heather said...

I decided yesterday that I would have to take a trip to Plumb Ln. as well. On another note...I just looked at the "joys of home" blog - LOVE IT! I now feel a little better about my spray paint addiction!!

R&D said...

Wow! I have to say I truely miss GH bread. We stop in St. George every once in awhile but it just doen't taste the same. So Allison what is next? You know what I'm praying for. Talk to ya soon.

Cody and Jen said...

I was definitely surprised to hear your doors had closed. Amber said she went there the other day to get some bread and the store was dark and the shelves were empty. What!!??? So sad. We had some of the greatest memories there and absolutely loved working for Matt. He was a great boss!! Im excited for your new adventure in life. I know you are looking forward to No more early morning calls from the sweets bakers saying the oven is broken. NOw that is music to your ears!!! Good luck!